Thursday, November 03, 2011

Lettering in the Environment Assignment


This assignment combined what we've learned with lettering, different typefaces, as well as our existing skills in perspective and rendering backgrounds.  I did the bottom one first, and tried to cram as many of the required skills in as I could, which results in a very cluttered image.  The first image is much easier to read and much less cluttered.  I can't pick a favorite, because both have serious shortcomings.  I like some rendering techniques I tried out in my first attempt, but I hate how hard it is to read and how visually busy it appears.  I get into a kind of zen mode when it comes to applying detail, which is good compared to how I rendered a year ago, where my images were too stark.  Still trying to find a happy balance.

For these images, I relied on Multiliners and my Kuretake Brush pen.