When I was 13 comic pages

Here's the last two pages from my Handlettering Class.  I feel like my handlettering is still pretty weak- mostly because I practice at 4.5 (on the Aimes lettering guide) but try to letter on pages at a 5 or above, resulting in spindly, unattractive letters.  I just worry that when reduced, letters designed at 4.5 will be to small to be legiable, or the counters will fill in.  Anyway there are unfortunate issues (my scans are really crummy, I scanned on my home scanner because I was crunched for time), and a few craftsmanship issues that I'll be working to resolve in the future.



Is it just me, or do my comic pages just not look like comic pages?  They always feel...off.  The originals don't feel as off as the scans do, and printed copies just make me cringe.  I really need to figure out what the disconnect is, so I can remedy it as fast as possible.  If you guys see anything that you think might help, please let me know.  Critique is always desired.  Most of these shots are centered and have nothing framing the characters within the panel, so maybe that's part of it.

These pages were test pages for a concept I want to work on involving autobio shots from my stupid teenage years. I've always had trouble with autobio comics, and I really don't want to rely on captions, but I also don't want a stupid amount of expository dialogue either.  I have to script each page a couple times just to tweak away unnecessary dialogue.  

Well, next page will be better.

Comments

Post a Comment