Refilling your Kuratake Brushpen (Also works for Pentel Brushpens, and probably other Cartridge loading Brushpens)

The ink that comes with the Kuretake brushpen tends to be a little...disappointing (see my brush pen review for those results), so I refill the empty cartridge with the ink of my choice.  I find that FW Acrylic ink tends to gum up many brushpens, so I alternate between Bombay India Ink and Winsor Newton India ink.  Bombay has a better dipper, so it's usually the one I reach for first.

Refilling a brushpen isn't hard, but it does take a little patience and can be fairly messy.  You need to save your empty cartridges (some people wash theirs out first and let them dry, I don't, and it doesnt seem to make a big difference in ink quality), and you need a good eyedropper if the bottle you use doesn't have one.

Step 1:  Disassemble inkpen like you normally would.
Put the dipper right to the cartridge opening.  You need to be careful, because it'll bubble up and you won't be to fill the cartridge.
You can use the brush tip to pop the bubble and continue filling the cartridge.
When you've finished filling the cartridge, just reassemble and you're good to go.

Comments

  1. I live in NYC and went to a local pharmacy and bought a syringe for $1 (a HUGE scary one). I kind of doubt that I CVS or Wallgreens would do the same, but you could also probably try a hardware store or craft store. I've seen syringes designed for applying glue which have dull needles. Makes this much easier and cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey , how about using carbon ink on a kuretake weasel hair tip brush pen.. Will the ink gum up the tip ?? Can you suggest me an ink which could be used to refill the catridge..
    the pen which I'm having is
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-KURETAKE-SUN-PHOENIX-MAKIE-URUSHI-BRUSH-PEN-Shodo-FUde-REAL-WEASEL-HAIR-/360495733015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ef385917

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment