Advanced Inking Techniques: Final Inking Illustration

It's been a rough scramble to get everything finished before finals, and yesterday was the last day of my Summer semester.  This meant two critiques in one day, which can be a bit overwhelming, especially since they were major critiques.  While I intend to to make several corrections to my newest When I Was 13, installment, I'm going to share the unrevised version with you guys a little later in the week.  Today I'm going to share my last piece for Advanced Inking Techniques, a 7" Kara black and white test cover.

This was inked using a Winsor Newton Series 7 brush (size 1), Winsor Newton India ink, with some drybrush and white corrections and details done with Copic's Opaque Watercolor.


As a bit of an aside, my family's evacuated to Orange, Texas, to wait out Hurricane Isaac.  With hurricanes, the damage is never done until the storm's long left, so of course I'm keeping them in my thoughts.

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I was a freshman starting college at UNO when Katrina hit.  My family was fortunate enough to have a place to stay in Texas, and while I was evacuated, I did a lot of volunteer work to help other 'refugees' (a term we evacuees found loathful and degrading).  When I returned a month later, my school had suffered a lot of damage that continues to haunt the institution financially.  The Fine Arts program had been crippled beyond repair (I was slated to major in Illustration, that program was nixed), and everything I had left in my dorm room was ruined.  I was lucky, however.  My home in Luling was pretty much fine, our levees had held.  Many of my friends, most of whom had parents with homeowners insurance, lost everything, and my dad's sister lost her home on the Gulf Coast.

My minor in undergrad was Earth Environmental Science, with a particular focus on ecosystem management.  I learned a lot about the area I lived in, how hurricanes affected it, and how projects like areas of poorly built and maintained levees and MRGO not only destroy the ecosystem they're located in, but the lives of the people who live in those areas.

I guess after Katrina, I took hurricanes seriously.  My family never really played around with evacuation orders, which I think has always worked to our advantage.  Even living in Savannah, I always have an evacuation plan and a place to stay worked out.  I keep canned goods and some potable water, just in case.

I'm sharing this because I know that outside of Louisiana, people look at hurricanes and Louisianians differently.  After Katrina, there were a lot of slurs slung, some dreadful things said by people who'd never even visited the area.  There were many who said that New Orleans deserved what it got, being a 'den of sin'.  No matter where you live, you are subject to some natural disaster that can destroy your life, and sin has nothing to do with it.  At least with hurricanes, the people of our city-below-sea-level-that-happens-to-be-in-a-bowl have advance notice.

Comments