Friday, January 20, 2012

Tech Pen Showdown

EDIT: If you enjoyed this review, please consider donating! Donations go towards the purchase of additional art supplies, which may include more markers for testing. If you found this review useful, please consider sharing it on your social networks.


While I was in Japan, I had the opportunity to visit Sekaido and Itoya, two huge art supply stores.  While neither were the art supply wonderland I'd hoped they'd be, they were still fairly impressive, and I was able to pick up a fair amount of art supplies on the cheap.  I took advantage of this opportunity to procure an assortment of tech pens to test for the blog.  I don't know how many of these are commonly available in the US, but hopefully this will alleviate a little of the supply envy many Westerners have in regards to Japanese art supply.
Pens will be displayed in order that they are tested on the paper below.  I used what I normally ink on- Strathmore 400 series plate Bristol.




















The area boxed in faint blue is where I tried to erase the ink vigorously using a Tombow Mono Zero eraser.  The blue/green area is Copic marker, and the boxed graphite area on the arm tests water solubility.