In my ever continuing quest to find and test markers for my audience's enjoyment, I quickly ran out of options that were easily available in US brick and mortar stores. This meant I had to increasingly widen my search online, breezing through my usual resources- DickBlick, Jerry's Artarama, JetPens, in my search for new marker options. It was on eBay that I hit my motherlode- Chinese markers, grafitti markers, as long as I wasn't required to buy a large set in a single brand, I was willing to give it a shot. It was during this eBay exploration that I found Potentate markers, a Chinese alcohol based marker. Potentate, meaning monarch or ruler, has a lot to live up to.
Like most brands not easily available in the US, it's difficult to find information about Potentate alcohol markers.
According to the trading site, Road of Silk, Potentate Markers are:
"1. Famous brand in China, practical item for designers
2. Suitable for Individuals or teams’ animation and cartoon drawing
3. Suitable for Drawings, sketching for Interior Design, Architectural Design, Fashion Design
4. Especially suitable for students professionals in fields of architecture, interior, advertisement and animation design"
Art Supply Review DisclaimerAs always, these art supply reviews are based on my own experiences and tastes, and may not be directly relevant to your needs and techniques. When investing in a product as expensive and potentially long lasting as alcohol based markers, it's wise to take into consideration a variety of sources, and to do your research.
Potentate Alcohol Markers VS. Copic Sketch Alcohol MarkersPotentate Markers:
- Depending on where you buy, are available individually and in sets of 24, 48, or 60 markers
- Are available via shops on eBay (just search 'Potentate alcohol markers') and on sites like Road of Silk , Wanpin, and Aliexpress
- Twin tipped marker- bullet nib and chisel nib
- Body is similar to Kurecolor Twin S markers
- Color code on cap
- Band of color on barrel and spot on cap to denote ink color
- Also available in a waterbased formula
- Square barrel prevents rolling
- Can be blended with some reworking
Price Per Marker: $7.29
- Replacable Nibs
- Comfortable in hand
- 358 available number of colors
- Color Name and Family on Cap
- Color Coded cap
- Super Brush
- Can mix own colors, blank markers available
- Availability: limited availability at Michaels, many art supply stores, Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama, Jetpens, Amazon
- Available in individual and color themed sets
- Alcohol based
- React to rubbing alcohol and 'blender' fluid
- Can be blended