Lettering and Balloons- Digitally Correcting Watercolor Pages Part 3

In Part 1 of this series, we discussed basic color correcting and color editing for watercolor comics.  In Part 2, we talked about resizing elements on a traditional media watercolor page, and how to add shadows or correct tone.  In today's post, we're going to talk about lettering and ballooning on traditional art digitally in a way that preserves the gestalt of the page.

This is a topic I've talked about a few times on this blog, so at the bottom of the post I'll include more links and information on lettering!  

It's important to me that the text look like it was handlettered and part of the page, so I use several resources to help make that happen.  I have a custom Kara font based off an alphabet I created in color pencil, I use a scan of Montval watercolor paper for the correct texture, and I rely on the Clone and Stamp to create the body of the word balloon.  Last, I create a border around spoken word balloons using a custom color pencil brush.

In the end, I have a finished page that looks like it was painted traditionally from start to finish.

 
Left: Original scan.  Right: Color corrected, lettered scan.

As of now, there isn't an elegant way to thread Tweets on Blogger, so I hope you guys will bear with me.  I want to archive these tutorials in a way that's easier for casual readers to find.  I recommend you click through to the thread- images are larger and easier to understand.

Creating Word Balloons



Borders on Word Balloons


This is part one of a four part series on digitizing, correcting, and lettering watercolor comic pages!  If you're interested in more about the digital side of my watercolor art, please let me know- I'm happy to create more tutorials that showcase that side of the process.  If you enjoy my art, we're preparing to launch the Kickstarter for Volume 2 of 7" Kara!  Almost all of the art in this watercolor correction series is from Volume 2.  If you Follow us on Kickstarter, Kickstarter will let you know when the project has launched!  And if you're interested in learning more about 7" Kara, I have a mailing list that talks about 7" Kara in depth.  

More on Lettering and Creating Word Balloons

Comments