Comparing Watercolor Progress Over Time

I thought it would be neat to layout all my 7" Kara covers and compare the progression.  I used the Layout app in Instagram, which forces a square format, but I think this gives a neat idea of trends and changes over time.


As time progressed, I tried to move away from my reliance on color pencils and watercolor pencils to add fine details, I refined my color sense and application, and worked toward pages that felt more finished.  I tried to push my contrast and lighting as the chapters progressed and my watercolor skills improved.

Volume 1 Covers

Chapter 1 Cover- 2012, Chapter 2 Cover, 2012

Chapter 3 Cover, 2013, Chapter 4 Cover, 2014



Volume 2 Covers

Chapter 5 Cover, 2014, Chapter 6 Cover, 2015

Chapter 7 Cover, 2017, Chapter 8 Cover, 2018

While covers alone don't tell the whole tale (obviously, you should read the comic), I think they paint an interesting picture of my progress over time.  While Pancake and Kara feature prominently, Naomi is definitely due for another cover, and we've yet to see a cover where all three characters are featured.  Neither Rowan nor Tanner have been on a cover yet- perhaps this is also in the cards?

As I'm wrapping up work on Volume 2, and preparing for the looming Volume 2 Kickstarter (sign up here if you'd like to be notified when it launches!),  its a great opportunity to look back and appreciate how far I've come on this creator owned, self published comic.

Comments