November Deboxing: Art Snacks, Box 8

EDIT: If you enjoyed this review, please consider donating! Donations go towards the purchase of additional art supplies, which may include more markers for testing. If you found this review useful, please consider sharing it on your social networks.

Introduction to Art Snacks

I've been subscribing to Art Snacks for a little over half a year and have seen seven months of art supplies delivered to my door for about $140.  When writing introductions for these Art Snacks deboxings, I've gotten to the point where I feel like, in prior posts, I've done all the introducing I feel like doing.  Unfortunately for me, I seem to get a lot of unique hits from Google searchs, so it's necessary for me to include some introduction.

Art Snacks are a subscription art supply service that delivers random art supplies to your door for $20 a month.  Unlike some subscription services, there are no other price tiers, you cannot vary your experience by filling out a questionnaire.  All subscribers get a similar box per month.

Prior Art Snacks Reviews and Unboxings

September
August
July
June
May 
April

I seem to always be a month off, so I suppose the box I'm reviewing is technically November, for those of you following along at home.

Unboxing Art Snacks November








This month's Art Snacks included:


  • Tombo Dual Brush Pen
  • Koh-i-Noor Mephisto Mechanical Pencil
  • Alumicolor 3000 Series 6" Triangular Scale
  • Palomino Blackwing 602
  • Zig Drawing Pen


I have to admit, I was really excited by the contents of this month's Art Snacks. There were a lot of products I was semi familiar with, such as Koh-i-Noor's mechanical pencils and Alumicolor's fantastic aluminum rulers, but I'd never purchased these particular products, so I was eager to review them.

Product Shots:

Koh-i-Noor Mephisto Mechanical Pencil (.07)









Palomino Blackwing 602




Zig Drawing Pen





Alumicolor 3000 Series 6" Triangular Scale





Tombo Dual Brush Pen




Honestly, I was so excited about the Mephisto mechanical pencil (look how SLEEK it is~!) that I immediately switched out my Alvin Draft-Tec with the Mephisto as my blue-lead pencil.  It quickly found a place in my pencil pouch, and came with me to Nekocon, where it saw a lot of heavy use.  Unfortunately, it started to clog really badly on the soft blue lead, which means I have to take it apart and clean it.  If you use harder graphite leads, you may not have this problem.

The Alumicolor 6" scale is nearly a pocket version of my much larger Alumicolor rulers, standards in my comic arsenal due to their high quality construction.  I carry my 24" Alumicolor ruler just about anywhere I go to make comics, and have used it non stop for about four years.  I imagine it's younger sibling, the 6" scale, will have an equally long and productive life in my pencil bag.


I've played with Tombow Dual Tipped pens in the past, particularly in undergrad where we had to complete several assignments with them.  I know they aren't watersafe, but I was curious to see if they'd go over non-photo blue lead.  I quickly sketched out Meldina, Kara's mother, and inked it with the Zig Pen and toned it with the Tombow.

It's difficult to see, but I had trouble getting the Zig pen to make lines over my non-photo blue lead.  I was able to go over the NPB lead with the Tombow with no difficulty, which would make it an interesting option to toning sketches.

I'm pretty satisfied with the contents of this month's box even without crunching numbers, but I'm curious to see how it all adds up.

The Value of November's Art Snacks

Tombow Dual Brush Pen- $2.37 open stock on DickBlick
Koh-i-Noor Mephisto Mechanical Pencil- $10.46 on DickBlick
Alumicolor 3000 Series 6" Triangular Scale-$4.13 on Art Supply Warehouse
Palomino Blackwing 602- 12 count (best I could find)- $22.95 on Amazon, or $1.91 each
Zig Drawing Pen- $2.21 on MarkerSupply.com

Total: $21.08

Holy smokes!  Art Snacks outdid themselves this month.  

I've noticed an upward trend in the selection and value of Art Snacks subscription boxes for the past three months, a trend that I'm really excited about and has tipped me in the balance of continuing my patronage of this service.  

 

Comments