Monday, August 03, 2015

My Work: Kara Sitting in Flowers



Kara sitting with Spring Flowers.  Watercolor on Canson Arches Watercolor paper.
I've posted so many reviews lately, I haven't really had much of an opportunity to just share some of the things I've been working on between conventions.  I DO post in progress stuff to my Tumblr when I can, and it used to update pretty often, but I've been so busy with bigger projects that I haven't really had a chance to post much since Mechacon.

I like to paint multiple pieces at a time, and I needed a horizontal Kara hero image, so I painted this while working on a batch of Gizmo Grandma pages.  Since people have asked what I use for my real illustrations, I used a couple of self assembled dried watercolor palettes that contain a variety of Holbein Irodori , Winsor and Newton (both pans and tubes), Daniel Smith, and  SoHo Urban Watercolors.  I purchase empty pans and my palette is a metal palette similar to the ones at the bottom of this page.  A metal palette like this is a lifetime investment- you really only need to buy it once, as long as you take care of it, it'll last.  My palette allows for me to put my own pans in, and I make sure they stay in place when I travel with a little bit of double sided tape on the underside of the plastic pan.  I paint with a variety of watercolor brushes, both natural and synthetic, from a variety of places, although these days I like to catch brush sales at my local Jerry's Artarama, because I really like their Creative Mark Rhapsody brushes.

This was painted on Canson Arches watercolor paper, which is one of my favorite papers for illustration.

Thanks for reading. Check out these products.