I don't have entire process documentation for any of these pages, but I thought it'd be nice to share what I do have, and explain my methods. I believe I've done Copic process posts in the past, very little has changed since that, and I plan on doing several watercolor process posts in the future. If I'm unclear about anything, just send me a comment or an email and I can do a mini tutorial to clarify what I've done.
BLACK AND WHITE:
|I tightened up my bluelines, pulling in additional detail when necessary.|
|I've masked off the napkin, so I could easily ink in the grass without having to make corrections after.|
|Because I masked off the napkin, I didn't have to go back and make corrections after and the grass doesn't look like it stops right at the napkin.|
|Inked in the far background (behind the shed door).|
|A dry brush texture was applied to the concrete.|
|Page was masked off so I could apply a spatter to the pavement.|
|Finished piece, with blue tape removed. The blue tape acts as a mask to keep my edges clean, but has a tendency to pull up the paper and cause damages.|
From using watercolors, I've learned the importance of an all over wash for harmonizing color. I've never tried to create a wash with Copic markers before, and have had trouble in the past keeping my color palette in check. This time, I decided to attempt a 'wash', using a Copic Wide marker. This was my first time using Copic Wide, and I found the color range to be frustratingly limited. I ended up using a darker blue than I would have liked. I also had a lot of trouble with streaking. To remedy this, I applied many, MANY layers of Copic colorless blender (in both wide and using the Super Brush Tip) to smooth out the color.
|As you can see, the wash tones any color above it (for example, the grey of the pavement). While selecting colors, I took a lot of care to ensure that they were harmonious, even though I was also relying on a wash to tie everything together.|
|Here's a quick (and ugly) snapshot of my swatches for the cover. As you can see, all of the tones run rather blue and relatively desaturated, even the reds.|
|The finished render.|
|Although this piece looks mostly finished, it's poorly pulled together, color wise. I ended up spending a lot of time correcting the colors using additional washes and pencil colors.|
|Here's a side by side comparison of all three covers.|
Wordcount: 703 Words