Guest Post: Eric Lide, Station Square Process

Hey all, my name's Eric Lide and I draw the webcomic Station Square. Today I will share some of my comic-making process.

So, things are pretty simple for me. First I start off with pencils. Most comic artists do thumbnails for pages-- I usually don't unless it's something that I'm going to have trouble visualizing in my head. Otherwise, I go straight to pencils. I draw on just typical 8.5 x 11 printer paper, nothing fancy, and I use a pretty basic Pentel 0.7 mechanical pencil. I pencil very quickly and roughly first, and then draw over it with some details a second time.


After the pencils are done, it's time for scanning!

First, I dump into it photoshop and make panel borders. Since this page is during a flashback scene, the borders are black here. After I do the borders, I import them and the pencils into PainterSAI as separate layers. I do all my digital inking in Sai because I like the feel of the brush tool there more:


Once the inks are done, I send everything back into photoshop where I drop in the lettering and graytones:

After that I shrink the drawing down to a size for the site and upload! You can check out the finished page here!   

Comments

  1. Thanks for showing us your process! Hm...I've been thinking about doing my comics either digitally or traditionally but didn't think about possibly using sketches or thumbnails and inking them on the computer. Thanks for inspiring my creavity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing a mix of digital and traditional for a while, but it's definitely nice to see how somebody else handles the two together. (I tend to do the opposite: digital sketch, traditional inking/color, but I've done the other way around, too!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment