Goals for the 2011-2012 School Year

I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty easy for me to lose sight of my progress, especially when I see everyone around me improving as rapidly as they do.  I can usually only see the worst in my work, all the nitpicky flaws that make me want to tear my hair out.  Instead of allowing myself to sink into a permanent mire of self-depreciation, I write down what I need to improve upon and begin setting goals.   I usually write my goals in my sketchbooks, but this time, I thought I'd share them with you.  I hope you find this long list useful and inspiring in setting your own goals.

Better composition
Better push and pull in panels (longshots and closeups)
Learn to handletter
Better word balloons
Don't be afraid of shots, take chances
Study superhero/action/noir comics and take notes
Better expressions
Clearer action
Try to have 1 full body scene per page
1 panel per page that conveys the story w/o showing the characters
Better cast shadows
Switch to brush and nib, ween out the techpens
Plan for text better
Push to work faster, better
Study texture and wrinkles
Start drawing using a mirror
Read more Hellboy/100 Bullets
Keep working on hands
Better ears
Improve speedlines
Introduce sound FX
Use more silhouettes
Try a double page spread
Improve lips
Try inkwash
Join Girls Drawing Girls (2012)
Put out full color artbook
Finish Chapters 2 and 3 of Ready Set Go
Draw first chapter of The Story Teller Girl
Get another 12 pages of Foiled done
Turn a profit at a con, even if it's a small one
Do one autobio comic
More blog entries with higher quality
Improve Photoshop skills
Do more watercolor

Comments